Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Surf's Up, Dude

Last night I was on the internet as usual and wanted something 'pretty' to look at on the tv as background.  When in my armchair with the laptop on my.....well my lap.........I just have to raise my eyes a few centimeters above the screen and can see the tv.

I looked on my online tv guide and saw a program on a BBC channel called "South Pacific" about the islands and peoples of that region and I thought that would provide some of the 'pretty' viewing I wanted.

Did it ever.  After watching it for a few minutes, I forgot the internet and sat entranced for the next 10 minutes until I decided to look for the show on the BBC iPlayer in case it was up there in HD......and it was.  My tv set isn't HD but my laptop screen is and so I watched the rest of the program on the laptop.

There was a particularly stunning clip of a surfer inside a wave and although I've seen those before, I've never seen one in super slo-mo in HD before - I think this was a first actually.

Even if you don't have HD it's still well worth a watch and although the BBC iPlayer can't be seen outside the UK for copyright reasons, they've put the clip up on YouTube and here it is.  If you want to see how it was done, there is a 10 minute version up there too.

It may be best to click on the title with the 5 stars at the top and be taken to the clip in YouTube itself as then you'll see it as it was intended.......in HD and in widescreen.

Enjoy.


3 comments:

jay said...

Wow, that was quite incredible! Funnily enough, someone was telling us about that programme just today!

But we missed it.

Daphne said...

Great clip! (though I could do that of course, if I practised a bit).

Kate said...

Yes, I've seen it before, but it's still wonderful. This time I paused it at points and took a series of screen shots for a montage I'm doing on water. Unfortunately no BBC HD here :-(
Thanks for the post Ian!

Most Recent Awards

Most Recent Awards